[Coral-List] underwater camera

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Thu Feb 2 09:35:34 EST 2006

Hi Trees,

The Reef Ball Foundation's Coral Team has had very good results using the
Cannon Powershot 400 series.  The have an inexpensive housing that is rated
to 100 feet.  The trick to taking pictures in natural light is to set the
white balance just before taking pictures and change it whenever you change
depths.  This can be done with the Cannon....whatever camera you get make
SURE you can set the white balance with the controls available on the
housing...many camera housings cannot control this feature on many cameras.

The only disadvantage is the Cannon housing is plastic....so you have to be
a bit careful with it heat wise.  Also, if you are taking allot of pictures
(more than 50 or so) in a short period of time, the lens tends to fog
(common in most battery operated cameras) but using a little bit of mask
defog on the underwater housing lens will usually stop this problem.

Happy shooting.

"take only pictures and leave only footprints,"

Todd Barber
Chairman Reef Ball Foundation, Inc.
3305 Edwards Court
Greenville, NC 27858
reefball at reefball.com

http://www.artificialreefs.org
http://www.reefball.org
http://www.reefball.com

Direct: 252-353-9094
mobile: 941-720-7549
Fax 425-963-4119

Personal Space: http://www.myspace/reefball
Group Space http://groups.myspace.com/reefballfoundation
Skype & MSN For Voice or Video Conferences:
Available upon request

Atlanta/Athens Office
890 Hill Street
Athens, GA 30606 USA
770-752-0202
(Our headquarters...not where I work see above)