[Coral-List] Re: underwater camera

Georgios Tsounis Georgios at icm.csic.es
Fri Feb 3 16:58:25 EST 2006

Hi Michelle,

back in 2001 when 7 Megapixels were still expensive, we used a small
sony digital compact with great success for a population structure
study. The only drawback of the compacts compared to a digital SLR was
the extreme shutterlag (annoying and at times stressful, but still
tolerable with coral work). I would rather recomend something like a
Nikon Coolpix 5000, if 5MP are enough, as our colleagues have had good
experience with this one. If you need a certain range from wideangle to
macro, then the compact cameras offer more flexibility than an SLR with
a macro lens, and are much cheaper to house. The macro ability was
quite astonishing to me, but it is important to check it out before
purchase. I am pretty sure the coolpix range of nikons allow
whitebalance settings. However, I suspect whitebalance has limits when
used at 20m (did not ry this though).

In our experience flash use under water was problematic with compacts.
I usually switched off the build in flash, or blocked it by hand.
Instead we used a divers light on a strobe arm to illuminate the corals
and provide a focussing light to the autofocus. It worked fine, but
required sufficient battery capacity. With some underwaterhousings
(such as Sealux), you can connect an external flash. Amphibious flashes
by Nikon are compatible with the Nikon digitals. However, you can only
use the flash in manual mode, unless you use a pro SLR.

For our work I really think 5Megapixels are sufficient. I found this
website helpful in this regard:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

There is a wealth of information on the net about compatibility of
cameras, housings and strobes. You can always ask questions about
digital underwater photography on the forum mantained
by:	www.wetpixel.com. I think there was a good article on white balance
by Alexander Mustard stored in the archives.

You can see how we used the digicams in our work by downloading the
results of our survey (3.6 mb document):
http://elib.suub.uni-bremen.de/publications/dissertations/E-
Diss1246_TsounisG.pdf

Cheers,

Georgios

Dr. Georgios Tsounis
Institut de Ciències del Mar, CMIMA (CSIC)
Passeig Marítim de la Barceloneta, 37-49
08003 Barcelona, Spain

Phone: 34  93 230 96 07
Fax: 34 93  230 95 55
E-mail: georgios at icm.csic.es