[Coral-List] Killing Acanthaster planci

sandrine job pulpito2000 at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 14 18:14:32 EST 2006

Dear Coral List,

  Firstly I would like to thank all the person who answered my questions about the Culcita pleague I observed on one of my restoration site in New Caledonia. I will keep you inform on the progress on this phenomenon during the course of the monitoring. So far, from the latest observations I have made on site, their number seems to stabilise and only very few coarls were attacked lately. It thus seems to confirm that they were attracted by stressed corals just after their transplantation and now that transplants are adapting to their new environmeent (and repair their lost tissue), the mortality is lower... These trends need to be confirmed. Once again thank you coral list members and if you hear anything about Culcita let me know.

  Secondly I had a question about what is the best way to kill COTs? Is it appropriate to kill them under the water by smashing them? or should we remove them from the water?and what about pricking them to catch them? Is it true that they will release eggs and worsten their invasion??

  Cheers,

  Sandrine JOB
Gillian Goby <G.Goby at gbrmpa.gov.au> a écrit :
  Dear All,

*Current Conditions Report*
/This report is compiled by the Climate Change Response Programme of the
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority. The Climate Change Response
Programme provides regular reports on conditions on the Great Barrier
Reef throughout summer and publishes early warnings of increases in
levels of stress or widespread bleaching of corals. This is the third
Current Conditions Report for the summer of 2005/06/.

*Updated 6 February 2006 *

*Summary *
Based on current conditions and climate predictions for the summer of
2005/06, the threat of widespread coral bleaching for the Great Barrier
Reef (GBR) region is currently rated as moderate. Sea temperatures in
the southern GBR have remained significantly warmer than average (+ 0.5
- 2.5 degrees C) since December 2005 (ReefTemp), and are now exceeding
the long-term summer maxima by up to 2 degrees C (NOAA HotSpot map). In
contrast, recent heavy cloud cover and rain over northern parts of the
GBR has kept temperatures close to average conditions for this region
(Reef Futures). Central GBR waters have shown a warming tendency in
recent weeks, with sea surface temperatures currently exceeding the
January long-term average by 0.5 - 1.5 degrees C (ReefTemp). Consistent
with these temperature patterns, reports of severe coral bleaching have
now been confirmed for some reefs in the southern region, with minor
levels of bleaching in parts of the central GBR.

For the full current conditions report please visit the GBRMPA website
on the link below:
_http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/info_services/science/climate_change/conditions_report.html_

The GBRMPA Coral Bleaching Response Plan has been implemented, and with
a moderate bleaching risk still existent for this summer, and with the
bleaching risk period far from over we are heavily relying on
BleachWatch participants and others to help us detect and report any
bleaching that might occur on the GBR .

For more information on climate change, BleachWatch or coral bleaching
please visit the GBRMPA website at:
_http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/corp_site/info_services/science/climate_change/index.html_

Regards
Gillian

--
Gillian Goby
Climate Change Response Program
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
PO Box 1379
Townsville, Qld 4810

Ph: 07 4750 0762
Fax: 07 4772 6093