[Coral-List] Re: A healthy Reef in the Florida Keys?

Esther Peters esther.peters at verizon.net
Fri Feb 17 11:40:25 EST 2006

Gregor and Phil make good points.  As part of an exercise to look at
reef classification for the purpose of developing coral reef
biocriteria, I examined the Coral Reef Evaluation and Monitoring Program
data from the Keys collected in 1996, looking at coral cover, species
dominance, and richness, and applying the "coral morphological
triangles" (conservation class) concept of Edinger and Risk (2000).  A
preliminary comparison with the results obtained from the 2004 CREMP
dataset revealed that just in those few years there were significant
structural and functional changes at some offshore shallow reef sites.
     And of course, based on long-time Keys' residents and reef
scientists, we know of even more changes over the past 25 years.  The
Nature Conservancy's diverse approach is also important to help us
understand reef dynamics in the Keys and the influences of natural and
anthropogenic disturbances.  I'm not sure that anyone has figured out
the "standard, or baseline reef."  My first look at this issue indicates
that even in the Keys there are several biotopes and more investigations
are needed as to which one(s) should serve as "reference condition" for
each class.

Esther Peters