[Coral-List] A healthy Reef in the Florida Keys?

Dr. Stephen Jameson sjameson at coralseas.com
Mon Feb 20 04:06:15 EST 2006

Dear Phil,

Thanks for the Coral-List note regarding:

>> Dear Listers,
>> With all this work, talk, and conferencing on coral reef resiliency
>> underway, I was wondering if anyone can identify a healthy reef (as
>> measured by some suite of measurable parameters) in the Florida Keys or
>> Dry Tortugas that we could use as a "standard, or baseline reef".

Per:

Jameson SC, Erdmann MV, Karr JR, Potts KW (2001) Charting a course toward
diagnostic monitoring: A continuing review of coral reef attributes and a
research strategy for creating coral reef indexes of biotic integrity.  Bull
Mar Sci 69(2):701-744

"In multimetric biological assessment, reference condition equates with
biological integrity.  Biological integrity is defined as the condition at
sites able to support and maintain a balanced, integrated, and adaptive
biological system having the full range of elements and processes expected
for that biogeographical region and type of environment (coral reef zone)
(Jameson et al. 2001, Table 1, page 702).  Biological integrity is the
product of ecological and evolutionary processes at a site with MINIMAL
human influence (determined by best available information)."

As you well know, there is no reef in the Florida Keys with minimal human
influence. For a recent summary of this situation see:

Jameson SC, Tupper MH, Ridley JM (2002) The three screen doors: can marine
³protected² areas be effective? Marine Pollution Bulletin 44(11):1177-1183.

So how could you approach this problem?

Your question is assuming just using a "single" reference site to create a
reference condition. (Note of caution: I would recommend using more than one
reference site to create a reference condition for a specific biogeographic
region.  Also, reference conditions based on reference sites may incorporate
considerable variability because of scale and in some biogeographic regions
this variability may be unsatisfactory.)

However, you can create reference conditions using a combination of the
following types of data (Jameson et al. 2001, page 705).  Each approach has
its strength and weaknesses.

Historical
Paleoecological
Experimental Laboratory
Quantitative Models
Best Professional Judgment
References Sites

But, before this question can be answered a few more questions need to be
addressed.

1.  What metrics and related organisms are you using in your monitoring and
assessment program?  Are you just looking at corals or are you developing a
more complex invertebrate, algae and/or fish index of biotic integrity with
a mix of species?  For example, if you were using forams you might have good
paleo data to create your reference condition with.   If you are using
corals, there might be good historical data or you might be able to use
agent based models (like John McManus is developing) and run them backwards
to get a historical perspective.  Best professional judgment will also be a
valuable resource for all metrics.

Your sampling protocol is critical, it needs to be consistent and this will
control what organisms are available for analysis - and determine what
reference conditions are needed.  If you can't create a defendable reference
condition then your chosen metric is of little use.

2.  What coral reef zone are you targeting (Esther's point).  Different
types of organisms will be found in different zones, so you want to be
comparing apples to apples and not confounding (mixing) data.  This will
also influence what reference conditions you need to develop.

3.  How far back in history do you want to go with your reference condition
- pre-Columbus, start of the industrial revolution, pre-Miami development?

Bottom line:  just using a single Florida Keys reference site selected in
2006 will not produce a satisfactory reference condition in the Florida Keys
situation no matter what metric/s you are using - which I know you realize.

I am putting the final touches on the following paper that outlines these
concepts in more detail.

Jameson SC, Karr JR, Potts KW (in ms) Coral reef biological response
signatures:  a new approach to coral reef monitoring and assessment with
early warning, diagnostic, and status & trend capabilities. Coral Reefs

Also see, when it comes out:

Jameson SC (in press) Summary of Mini-Symposium 4-2, Diagnostic Monitoring
and Assessment of Coral Reefs: Studies from Around the World. Proc 10th Intl
Coral Reef Symposium, Okinawa, Japan

I hope this brief summary helps.
All papers referenced can be downloaded at <http://www.coralseas.com>.
If I can be of further service please give me a call.

PS.  Caution should be used with respect to using "resilient reefs" for
reference sites as the fact that they are categorized as "resilient"
suggests that they have been subjected to stressors and are not located in
minimally impaired environments.  We are looking for those reefs that have
not bleached - which as Greg points out - will be harder and harder to find,
thus reinforcing the need to use the other approaches for creating reference
conditions.

Best regards,

Dr. Stephen C. Jameson, President
Coral Seas Inc. - Integrated Coastal Zone Management
4254 Hungry Run Road, The Plains, VA  20198-1715  USA
Office:  703-754-8690, Fax:  703-754-9139
Email:  sjameson at coralseas.com
Web Site:  http://www.coralseas.com

and

Research Collaborator
Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
Washington, DC 20560