[Coral-List] Coral farming

sandrine job pulpito2000 at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 21 18:52:43 EST 2006

Dear all,
  I am seeking for any information related to coral farms, especially farms made in situ.
  The best would be to send me email adresses or web sites of Coral Farms.
  Thanks to you all,
  Cheers,
  Sandrine JOB

Eric Borneman <eborneman at uh.edu> a écrit :
  Hello Hiroya:

Thank you for the update on the Proceedings and I am greatly looking
forward to seeing them and appreciate the work that has certainly
been required to produce them.

I am curious, though, about the printing. If the CD-ROM is already
formatted, as it should be given the nature of the formatting
required for submitted material, then any of thousands of print-on-
demand printers should be able to produce bound volumes by a print-on-
demand cost that can be from 1 to many thousands of copies.

For example, one print-on-demand company found with a quick google
search will print hardback copies (6x9) with full color covers, dust
jackets, up to 500 pages and provide 10 free copies of the book for US
$1000 and this includes free CD e-books and 30% royalties for each
copy sold if they are the distributor and 50% of CD-ROM sales. I
consider this to be quite expensive. I think others on this list I
know who have written full color books over 500 pages would agree
that we would not be writing (or selling) much if printing costs and
selling prices were this high.

While I don't have the details of the manuscript, the minimum order
and costs seem very out of line with what I know about book
publishing (which isn't much), having written two books. I think the
cost of book series, such as Corals of the World, which are similarly
large, colorful (which previous Proceedings have never been) and well
made indicates what is possible. The costs of scientific publication
have always been a mystery to me, to say the least, and in terms of
most journals, an outrageous racket.

If, however, there are very few orders for text-based copies I can
see that the cost would be high, but I see no reason for it to be
impossible for even one copy to be produced given the nature of POD
technology today. I hope others on the list who have published books
could comment further.

Best,

Eric Borneman
Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry