[Coral-List] Reef Remnancy not resiliency

Albert Norstrom albert at ecology.su.se
Wed Feb 22 09:46:53 EST 2006

Thanks Phil for starting what must be the most interesting discourse held on these boards in a long time. Some extremely thought-provoking comments all around.

Yes, the Keys do seem to have it real bad, but this isn't a problem isolated to the Caribbean. I've conducted field trips in the Phillippines and Zanzibar during the past years and we are witnessing moderate-to-severe degradation in those regions too. The general feeling diving on reefs off the North coast of the Philippines is that of entering a ghost town. Fish abundnace is frighteningly low (you'd be lucky to see a parrotfish above 35cm after a week of diving), and community changes are rapidly manifesting themselves (we have observed some sites where soft corals are taking over completely following the bleaching event of '98). The causes behind this seem to be a confounding mixture of synergistic factors, just as in the Caribbean. As Alina points out, local factors alone (such as a decline water quality due to human terrestrial activities) cannot be ascertained to be the single driving forces behind the changes. As such, what speaks for a sudden improvement in reef conditon if we manage to address that single point - when the problems of  climate change and lack of grazers (due to a brutal historical overfishing and disease) loom overhead?

I found Jeffrey Lowes comment "Perhaps, if we took a longer view (in evolutionary terms), this extinction would not matter .... yes, the ecosystems that we know today might be gone, but other ecosystems and processes will replace them. Much good that would do for us, who have to see these changes taking place." interesting. How about I play devils advocate with you all for awhile. A few months ago, a very interesting point of discourse popped up during an internal discussion group at the department. The notion that ecosystems are intrinsically unpredictable and characterized by alternative system regimes is gaining more and more weight in the coral ecology community. It is thus interesting that we as a group (and society as a whole) are continually so ill-prepared for when such shifts occur. For 20 or so odd years the Caribbean has been dominated by macroalgae regime that seems pretty resilient itself (probably due a strengthening of certain internal feedback loops in that system over the years). I'm curious to know if any serious attempt has been made to investigate what goods and services are available from these new regimes (e.g. what kinds of fish can be harvested), and if fishing communities have adapted in any way, and if so are they succesful, to these new conditions?

For sure, I'm an advocate for proactive measures to foster resilience of coral ecosystems. (Already an array of tools have been suggested, MPA's being the most popular at the moment, but in order to succeed with this I think we have to witness a more fundamental change in our economic and social structures. How on earth will MPA's solve anything if market economy dictates that its economically viable to continue overfishing an already ecologically depleted fish stock in the regions outside these sanctuaries? Forgive the side-note, back to being devils advocate again.) But it seems equally important to create institutional frameworks that can foster adaptivity in social systems. The new macroalgal regimes could be the norm for the Caribbean for the next unforeseeable future, much as (from my own personal observations, and research) other regimes are becoming more common in other biogeographic regions. Is it "fatalistic" to start looking around us and maybe accept that coral ecosystems are dynamic and alternative regimes are not something aberrant, but a phenomenon we could (or should) get accustomed to as conditions change. Maybe the pressing question is, not if we can restore reefs to some abstract baseline level, but can we predict these new regimes (I think never completely, seeing the complex nature of ecosystsm) and can we adapt to them?

/Cheers

Albert Norström
PhD Student
Dept. Systems Ecology