[Coral-List] resiliency vs. "remnancy" vs. sustainability

DeeVon Quirolo deevon at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 24 10:10:09 EST 2006

Ok ok,  I'll add my two cents.  At this time for coral reefs, I think
that what we need are efforts to RESTORE coral reefs, including
immediate efforts to reduce heavy physical impacts and habitat
destruction, as well as improve water quality from local and regional
pollution sources and reduce global warming (although we may have
already crossed the critical threshold there).  We already know that
corals need clear clean nutrient free waters to thrive and that they
do not do well when battered by various user groups and of course
natural events such as storms.  I think the reef resiliency approach
is flawed because it proposes to study healthy reefs, and looks the
other way while those corals that need our help most are
ignored.  Applying what we know already to these reefs on the part of
current managers would do wonders.  There you have it.  Best, DeeVon
Quirolo, Executive Director, Reef Relief