[Coral-List] Question about a macro algae species seen onreefs in southern Cat Island, Bahamas

Rick Sanders ricksanders at comcast.net
Tue Feb 28 00:44:10 EST 2006

Raphael,

That photo looks like it?

I have gotten so many responses and I haven't had a chance to write back to
thank any of you for sending your information on the macro algae.

The photo you sent looks like a good example of the what I saw on the reefs
in Cat Island. Quite a few other also suggested it was Microdictyon.

Who is doing work on this algae and its impacts in the Bahamas?
It seems strange that this algae is popping up in such remote locations...it
has been suggested that currents may be carrying nutrients into these areas
from other locations where the anthropogenic inputs of nutrients are
greater.

What is the impact that Microdictyon is having on these reefs?  It seems to
be overgrowing many healthy corals. It was also mentioned in other responses
that I have gotten that this algae is seasonal. Does this mean that it's
impact is only temporary and the impacted corals have a chance to recover
from the infestation?

Thanks again for the great photo and information,

Rick

Rick Sanders
President
Deep Blue Solutions