[Coral-List] Reef Check Australia Internship ~ To start ASAP ~ closing date 23/1/06
octopus at comcen.com.au
Tue Jan 3 22:58:08 EST 2006
Due to a last minute withdrawal of one of our prospective interns Reef Check
Australia have a 6 month internship vacancy available to start in
Townsville, Queensland Australia ASAP. More information on Reef Check
Australia can be found at http://www.reefcheckaustralia.org
The position is offered on a volunteer basis. Candidate requirements;
* Minimum of PADI Dive master certification and professional
* Academic qualifications in Coral reef or reef fish
* Database management skills
* >1 peer reviewed scientific publication
* Experience in writing Fundraising / Grant proposals.
* Teaching/teamwork skills ~ organizing dive surveys for 2006.
* Minimum PADI Rescue Diver certification + 50 hours logged dives.
* Financially independent for the 6 month period.
* Eligible for a 6 month tourist or 12 month working visa in
* Capable of passing an AS2299 dive medical.
* Competence in written and spoken English.
* Dive accident(DAN) and health insurance.
Reef Check Australia is a not for profit organization based in Townsville.
We currently train volunteer recreational scuba divers to take part in
monitoring more than 40 sites on the GBR. Over the past 4 years we have
developed relationships with a large number of stakeholder groups including
government agencies, tourism operators and research organizations. The
internship position will involve a diverse array of activities from mundane
office functions to organizing and participating in exciting survey trips
throughout the GBR. Whilst the intern position is not funded it will provide
an excellent opportunity for any person who is starting a career in marine
science who wishes to gain experience in this field. You will also gain
insight into the workings of an environmental charity and participate in
novel research opportunities.
Townsville is the administrative hub for Great Barrier Reef management and
research providing interns with ample opportunities to interact with other
marine scientists. The successful Reef Check intern will gain in water
surveying experience and a globally recognized Reef check qualification that
will enable them to take part in Reef Check monitoring programs around the
If you are interested in this opportunity and can be in Townsville by the
end of January 2006 please respond with your c.v. to jos at reefcheck.org by
Marketing & Communications Manager
Reef Check Australia
+61 07 47241854 (Tel/Fax)
+61 404 330859 (Mobile)
jos at reefcheck.org
More information about the Coral-List