[Coral-List] Job opening: National Parks Manager - Saba, Dutch Caribbean
Jim.Hendee at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 5 08:46:43 EST 2006
[I'm not sure why this didn't go through the first time, but here it is...]
Subject: Job opening: National Parks Manager - Saba, Dutch Caribbean
From: "Kalli De Meyer" <kdm at telbonet.an>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:22:43 -0400
To: <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
CC: "'Janine le Sueur'" <janine_lesueur at yahoo.com>,
<widecast at ix.netcom.com>, <cca at ccanet.net>, <campam at yahoogroups.com>,
<bpotter at irf.org>, <NANCIweb at yahoogroups.com>
Saba Conservation Foundation
PO Box 18, The Bottom, Saba, Netherlands Antilles
Tel : + (599) 416-3295 + (599) 416-2709
Fax : + (599) 416-3435 www.sabapark.org
NATIONAL PARKS MANAGER
The Saba Conservation Foundation (SCF), a non profit nature management
organisation based in Saba, Netherlands Antilles is seeking a National
Parks Manager to manage the Saba National Marine Park and a land park.
The SCF has five full time staff to support field, operational and
administrative aspects of the organisation. The incumbent will be
responsible for the overall management of the organisation, staff and
* Institutional Development – Responsible for overall integrity of the
organisation: Preparation of budgets, action plans, and work programmes;
manages and supervises staff and volunteers, financial management and
reporting, compliance and development of SCF Manual of Procedures,
implementation of Strategic Plan 2006 – 2010, compliance and development
of nature legislation and national park management plans.
* Fundraising, Grant writing, Income Generation – Responsible for all
fundraising and grant writing from established sources, manage donor
relations, strengthen income generating capacity to collect user fees,
promote souvenir sales and develop new income generating opportunities.
Supervision and Compliance
* Operational Management– Oversees all aspects of park operational
activities including maintenance of SCF assets (boat, truck, moorings,
machine, compressors, scuba gear, decompression chamber, etc.), staff
and budgetary management.
* Legislation: Monitoring, Compliance and Inputting– Responsible to
ensure compliance with existing nature legislation, reports on
violations and proposes new rules/legislation.
* Marketing and Public Relations – Responsible for managing stakeholder
relations (especially island government and local NGOs), promoting the
organisation and its objectives, maintaining website and all public
information, providing and developing user information for national parks.
* Education and Awareness – Supervises education and awareness programme
to stimulate public awareness and education campaigns on major
environmental issues, in particular issues related to protected areas
* Project Design and Execution – Supervises the design and execution of
all projects in accordance with Project Management procedures. Reports
to the Board on project progress.
* Hyperbaric Chamber - Serves as technical and safety director of the
Saba Hyperbaric Facility (SHF) and is responsible for compliance with
DAN safety standards, supervision of facility maintenance and staff/
volunteer training. Training provided.
* Monitoring, Data Collection and Analysis (quality control) – Oversees
monitoring programmes in accordance with monitoring procedures and
protocols, supervises collection of relevant data on status and use of
indicated habitats within Park boundaries. Interprets data to support
proposals for policy interventions or amendments, increase public
awareness, use in public reports, etc.
* Database – maintains a database for Parks management on key indicators.
* Research – Responsible for prioritizing research needs in accordance
with partners, arrange resourcing for research, determine relevance of
research requests for organization, assess logistical requirements,
prepare research frameworks (MOU or TOR) and inform all stakeholders,
supervision of researchers/ consultants, ensure all regulations are
complied with and permission granted by authorities as relevant.
* Reports to the Board on all issues pertaining to SCF management and
stakeholder relations. Responsible for all reporting obligations to
* Represents the SCF on the Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance Board (DCNA)
and at regional conferences, meetings and forums.
* Seven+ years of organisational management experience preferably with
nature management, national park or related organisation.
* Masters degree in marine biology, coastal management, natural sciences
or related environmental sciences.
* Advanced diving experience. Some commercial diving experience an
* Technical skills in boat handling, navigation and marine protocols.
* Strong understanding of project management methodologies, tools and
* Strong communication skills (written and oral). Fluency in English.
Dutch an advantage.
* Advanced knowledge of management, organisation or operational procedures.
* Experience with use of decompression chamber an advantage. Training
* Experience working in small island states also an advantage.
Please send resume and cover letter to the Director Saba Conservation
Foundation PO Box 18, The Bottom, Saba, Netherlands Antilles or e-mail
to janine_lesueur at yahoo.com . Closing date 24 January 2006. Only short
listed candidates will be contacted.
Please review website www.sabapark.org See also www.dcnanature.org
More information about the Coral-List