[Coral-List] coral model for functional genomics

jmcmanus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Jan 5 08:21:26 EST 2006

Acropora palmata is important for reef building in the Caribbean. Porites
lobata is probably the most important reef builder throughout the
Indo-Pacific. It is also listed by J. Veron as 'Probably the most common
Porites.' It is the most common coral forming microatolls, vital to
reef-height/sea surface studies. It has one of the most extensive fossil
records of any species, and a lot of data has been gathered on it via coring
for oil exploration.

Obviously, the two would be great, but P. lobata would make a lot of sense
as the one and only. Millepora is interesting, but not representative of
anything except Millepora, as it is not even a Scleractinian coral.

I would be fascinated to learn what the reasoning was for criticizing your
choice of P. lobata. Perhaps it had something to do with technical
analytical difficulties?

Perplexed,

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Laboratory (CREM Lab)
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami, 33149
Office: 305-421-4814/4820, Fax: 305-421-4910, Website: www.ncoremiami.org

If I cannot build it, I do not understand it. -- Richard Feynman, Nobel
Laureate