[Coral-List] ASLO session: Applications of Remote Sensing Deata in Coastal Waters

Varis Ransi varis.ransi at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 6 09:52:20 EST 2006

Please post:

If you have relevant work regarding the applications of remote sensing
data in coastal waters, we invite you to submit an abstract to session
TS-E07 (below) at the ASLO Meeting in British Columbia in June 2006.
http://aslo.org/meetings/victoria2006/topical.html   Please note that
ASLO will not provide reimbursement for any expenses or registration
costs.  Abstract submission deadline is January 20, 2006.  We hope you
can fit this to your busy schedule.

*TS-E07 - Applications of Remote Sensing Data in Coastal Waters*

Studies of processes in the coastal areas are complex. However,
understanding the processes in the coastal areas are the most useful,
and with various applications to everyday activities. Even with all the
advances in observations, sensors and logistics, it is expensive and a
large undertaking to take synoptic data for a reasonable size coastal
region. However, with the advent of remote sensing techniques, either by
aircraft or satellites, we are able to take measurements in a large
coastal area for a short period of time (almost synoptic). The processes
of interest are physical and biogeochemical. These processes are also
interdependent and interacting. For example, water properties in an
estuary may be a function of river runoff, while the salinity will
depend on the tidal current. Wind actions cause stirring, increasing
turbidity. Satellite airborne sensors can measure or derive sea surface
temperature, surface winds, surface roughness, surface heights, and
ocean color. Ocean color sensors have the most varied applications
particularly in coastal waters where there are different substances
present in the water. Papers in all aspects of the application of remote
sensing data in coastal waters are welcome.

Organizers: Celso S. Barrientos, Office of Research and Applications,
NOAA/NESDIS, celso.s.barrientos at noaa.gov
<mailto:celso.s.barrientos at noaa.gov>, Varis Ransibrahmanucul, Center for
Coastal Monitoring and Assessment, NOAA/NOS, varis.ransi at noaa.gov
<mailto:varis.ransi at noaa.gov>, and Douglas E. Pirhalla, NOAA,