[Coral-List] Re: Coral model for functional genomics

Robert W. Buddemeier buddrw at kgs.ku.edu
Fri Jan 6 17:40:32 EST 2006

Misha,

 From waaaaay outside the genetics/genomics communities, it sounds to me
like a key question might be whether the ideal candidate would be a
versatile, stress-tolerant and well/broadly adapted species, or one that
would hit the panic button, try hard, and die quickly whenever something
went wrong.  I could envision arguments either way -- if the former,
then P. lobata would be hard to beat, but if the latter, maybe not.

On other counts, a couple of sociopolitical observations.
First, there is (in my opinion) never any such thing as consensus in the
coral reef community.  Especially in a forum of the self-selected, those
with strong but unsupported opinions will back off in the face of good
arguments (but not change their minds), and/or really knowledgable
people will not 'waste their time' contesting the loud and persistent.
Either way you wind up with an apparent agreement by default, with some
irritated people on the other side primed to slap back when they get a
chance.

Second, what to do about it (assuming that you are on the side of the
angels)?  If the negative reviewers seem to be be people trying to
feather their own nests by advancing their pets over all comers, it
should be possible to make some well-educated guesses about who they are
and list them in the "possible reviewers to be excluded" section.  This
is legitimate, but should not be undertaken thoughtlessly.  First, I
would suggest a heart-to-heart talk with the program officer.  Would a
replay go back before the same panel?  Would he/she necessarily re-use
some of the same reviewers for a resubmission?  It might be that if you
lay out what you see as the issues clearly and objectively, he/she would
fold that into the next review selection process, or make some
observations that would help you deal with the issues in your rewrite.
And, if you have a program officer who knowingly sends your proposal to
hostile (as opposed to rigorous) reviewers, it's a signal to stop
wasting your time there. If you do go back in to the same program, it's
important to document responses to the previous reviews;
"clarifications" are preferable, but it sounds like you might have to do
some flat-out rebuttal -- if so, be polite but very very clear.

Personally, I still like P. lobata -- but the identity thing might be an
issue -- I think it grades imperceptibly into P. lutea over their mutual
ranges, and I don't know if anyone has attacked the question of 1 vs 2
spp and how to tell (in addition to not being a genomist I'm also not a
taxonomist -- easier to have opinions that way).

Good luck.  It sounds interesting and important enough to persist in
trying to do something, even if that takes compromising or fighting.

Bob Buddemeier

--
Dr. Robert W. Buddemeier
Kansas Geological Survey