[Coral-List] Potential for bleaching on the southwestern Pacific reefs

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 12 15:56:25 EST 2006

Ocean temperatures have been warming to the east and north of Australia.

A region of warming is expanding along the southern GBR, as evidenced
by HotSpot values over 1 degree C.  Degree Heating Week values have
started to accumulate, but have not reached significant levels.
These should be monitored for further development.

However, in the Timor Sea, Degree Heating Week values have reached as
high as 6 with current HotSpot values near 1.5.  Fortunately, this
region of warming is currently contracting.

New warming has begun around the Solomon Islands, with DHWs already
around 5 in some spots, and HotSpots around 1.5.  This region is
expanding.

According to our past data,  some bleaching is likely at DHW values
of 4 or above.

We encourage researchers in these regions to watch out for signs of
bleaching.

Current HotSpot and Degree Heating Week charts can be found at:
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/index.html

Please continue reporting bleaching events (or non-events) at http://
www.reefbase.org/input/bleachingreport/index.asp

Regards,
Mark

------------------------
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch

Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136