[Coral-List] Age of clones?

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Thu Jan 19 07:22:56 EST 2006

Hi Charles:

Your question revolves around the issue of whether you are specifying an age of an isolate or the age of the actual genotype.

With single celled algae the age of the clone is defined from when that single cell was isolated from it's neighbors and cleaned up.  The particular cell would be only a few days old at most at time of isolation, but the age of the genotype would be older.  Not sure if anyone has tried to age a genotype in such cells.  When did the first cell with that particular set of genetic characteristics come about from sexual reproduction?

When one "clones" a coral, you are taking a piece of an animal that could be tens to thousands of years old.  Every coral colony starts from a sexual planula, so the chronological age of the coral colony and every fragment derived from it would be the settlement date of that planula.  Unless you find a good way to age the donor colony, then all you can specify is how long that genotype has been in culture (you can call that the age of the clonal isolate, but recognize that is not the same thing as the age of that genotype).

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta