[Coral-List] Age of clones?

Mark Heckman mheckman at waquarium.org
Thu Jan 19 19:50:09 EST 2006

Thinking in practical terms here - as an educator that has to translate
this to the public:

It seems to me that the "individual" in this case is any fragment or
propagule that is physically separate from other propagules of the same
clonal unit. Once we get into defining an individual coral by genetic
components over time, it gets quite interesting - and complicated. Although
a somewhat more absolute point is planula settlement - as noted, corals are
annoyingly plastic.

Therefore I suggest that the "apparent age" of the individual begins with
separation from the parent colony, even if the unit is a clone rather than
a sexual propagule. Then, depending on the level of information desired,
reference to the parental unit should be made. This would be similar to
plant cuttings.

Reference to the parental unit can be vital. As Charles has noted to me in
the past, as more and more corals are being propagated in captivity, and
sold/ traded/ and exchanged -  questions as to ancestry and history can be
very important.

Say that an Aquarium desires to create a new coral reef exhibit - goes to a
wholesaler and wants to buy a number of corals, but also wants to know the
heritage of the specimens. If all the wholesaler can tell them is that they
are fragments that came from another wholesaler that got them from
somewhere in the Pacific - they are of little research value. And obtaining
import or export permits for them can be an issue.

Perhaps a labeling system should be encouraged. To include:

Date original fragment was collected. Collectors name. Location (as exactly
as possible). Approximate size and health of parent colony. Image of parent
colony (at times, we may want to find or relocate the parent - possibly
even replace it if it was destroyed). An ID number for the fragment.
Generation since original fragmentation/collection. I.e. if this was a 5th
generation fragment - it might be A.s.101-5   or  A.s.101-5x(~). A simple
numbering system might work here. Of course, maybe this is already done and
I just am not aware of it.

Just my two cents,

Mark Heckman
Education Director