[Coral-List] job vacancy for tourism/social scientist in indonesia

Jo Swiecicka j_swiecicka at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 20 10:44:43 EST 2006

Hi everyone,

I currently conduct research into natural resource management and tourism
development issues for fishing communities in Sulawesi, Indonesia. The
organisation I work for is Operation Wallacea (www.opwall.com) , an
organisation that funds academics to do social science, and marine biology
research and advise local conservation and development programmes by
bringing out paying volunteers to assist in data collection and to do their
own undergrad and masters field research.

I currently am responsible for the social science programme during the
volunteer season which runs from late June to early September each year, and
head up the projects studying the Bajo 'sea gypsy' people.

We currently are recruiting for an anthropologically minded person to
supervise undergraduate social science dissertation projects, compile
research findings and work to imrpove the benefits of our 'research tourism'
project for local communities. You would be supervising research in to
maritime communities, conservation and tourism for the summer of 2006 on the
island of Kaledupa in the Wakatobi Marine Park. I am also writing their
resposnbile tourism policy, and setting up a community tourism venture in
the area, so you would have the opportunity to contribute to the development
of both of these if you were interested.

This is a great opportnuity for any postgrad in sustinable
development/coastal managaement/geography/anthropology/ecotourism to gather
field and project leadership experience.

We can cover travel costs in Indonesia and food and board will be paid on
site, but you will need to get to Indonesia under your own steam.

I attach the job description and person specification for your interest. The
closing date is 24th Feb, you can return applications to myself :
joanna_swiecicka at yahoo.co.uk. Remember to include in your cover letter how
you and your experience/personality fit the position and person
specification clearly.

Please don't hesitate to email me also if you have any questions, I'm happy
to talk more about the project, the culture of the area and what the job
involves.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Jo Swiecicka