[Coral-List] SocMon WIO guidelines in English, Swahili, French and Portuguese

David Obura dobura at africaonline.co.ke
Wed Jul 5 06:22:58 EDT 2006

Dear all,

The third of the GCRMN SocMon guidelines, for the Western Indian Ocean, is
now complete and printed (and pdf¹d) in English. Please let us know if you
would like a pdf copy (4.6 MB, email to Innocent Wanyonyi
iwanyonyi at cordioea.org or me), and it will also shortly be available on the
web at www.wiomsa.org.  Grants from ICRI, NOAA, Sida and IUCN have supported
the development of the guidelines to date, with additional support from
WIOMSA (Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association) and ICRAN.

We have nearly completed translations into Swahili, French and Portuguese,
which will also be available as pdf files. We are, however, looking for
additional support to print sufficient copies of the French and Portuguese
manuals as we are short of funds for these. Also, in doing that we would
like to see if they will be useful beyond the Western Indian Ocean to other
regions needing those languages. Please get in touch with us if you can:

1. help ascertain how applicable the existing French and Portuguese text
would be in your region (other than the western Indian Ocean)
2. help generate funding for printing. The publisher we are using in Mombasa
charges the following prices: 500 copies-$2,900; 200 copies-$2,400; 100
copies-$2,200. Obviously it would be most cost effective to print in higher
numbers, but it only makes sense to do this if there is sufficient demand.
Up to $1,000 or so would need to be found for shipping.

Alternatively, it is a relatively easy matter to adjust the text to suit a
particular country/region (if no work is needed on the actual content of the
guidelines), and we could look into making the layout documents available
for customization.

Regards,

David Obura
--

CORDIO East Africa
#8/9 Kibaki Flats, Kenyatta Beach, Bamburi Beach
P.O.BOX 10135 Mombasa 80101, Kenya
Tel/fax: +254-41-548 6473; Tel: +254-41-548 0117
Mobile: 0733-851656
Email: dobura at cordioea.org

CORDIO East Africa
#8/9 Kibaki Flats, Kenyatta Beach, Bamburi Beach
Email: dobura at cordioea.org