[Coral-List] Ocean acidification/temperature relationship on marine calcification

Dr. Stephen Jameson sjameson at coralseas.com
Mon Jul 10 05:38:18 EDT 2006

Dear Joan,

Can you clarify for the Coral-List how increasing sea surface temperature
affects the calcification challenge in corals with increasing acidification?

Ben McNeil's research on Porites in Australia shows that calcification
increases with increasing acidification and increasing sea surface
temperature.  The research by Marshall and Clode shows a bell-shape
calcification trajectory (i.e., increasing calcification up to 2-3degC
warming and then declining  after that).

Was the relationship of increasing sea surface temperatures and increasing
acidification on calcification discussed at the workshop?

It seems like all the recent calcification challenge press releases coming
out regarding increasing acidification are not put into context with respect
to increasing sea surface temperature.

Your thoughts/guidance would be appreciated, so we can all respond to these
calcification challenge questions accurately.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Dr. Stephen C. Jameson, President
Coral Seas Inc. - Integrated Coastal Zone Management
4254 Hungry Run Road, The Plains, VA  20198-1715  USA
Office:  703-754-8690, Fax:  703-754-9139
Email:  sjameson at coralseas.com
Web Site:  http://www.coralseas.com

and

Research Collaborator
Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
Washington, DC 20560