[Coral-List] coral bleaching: response to Goreau

shashank Keshavmurthy iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 07:01:43 EDT 2006

Dear Listers, Tom
the recent post was very informative....

I also read some listers mentioning about
"Starvation".....

As Tom points out.....we need to remember some
things before we bring up the word starvation....

1.  Zooplankton availability in coral reef
area...there are "n" number of animals feeding on
zoopalnkton...and almost all of them are
motile!!!!

2.  Poor corals being non-motile...have to wait
for zooplantkon to reach at least as near as
their tentacles can reach!!!

So, it is like, even if they want to eat..they
can't !!!!!

Instead of" starvation"...the right pharse can
be" food availability"...wich depends on
abundance of surrounding zooplankton feeders....

the "food availability" is not at all problem in
aquarium tanks....

actually after reading so many messages today...i
visited some reef aquarists web sites to see
actually what they are feeding..and i see that it
is heaven out there for the corals!!!...

I also saw recently one paper that deals with
"depleted rates of zooplankton in coral reef
waters" if I am not wrong..because I am unable to
recollect where I saw this paper and in which
journal....(i was not searching for this topic
that time!!!)....

some of my thoughts again....

Regards
Shashank

"the role of infinitely small in nature is infinitely large"-Louis Pasteur

Keshavmurthy Shashank
phD candidate
Kochi University, Graduate School of Kuroshio Science
Laboratory of Environmental Conservation
Otsu 200, Monobe, Nankoku-shi
783-8502, Kochi, Japan
alt. id: shashank at cc.kochi-u.ac.jp
phone: 81 080 3925 3889