[Coral-List] calcium bicarbonate

Paul Blaine carpenpan1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 8 16:33:39 EDT 2006

Greetings All,

  Here is a question for those of you who know cnidarian physiology, more specificly, stoney corals.

  I found an inexpensive source of calcium bicarbonate, around $5 US for 50 pounds.

  Can calcium bicarbonate be used to add calcium to a reef tank to promote coral growth?

  I am concerned with how this product would affect the pH and carbonate hardness?

  I am also wondering if it will dissolve into solution to be utilized by the corals for skeletal formation?

  Perhaps it would be best to add the calcium bicarbonate to RO water before adding to the reef tank?

  Thanks
  Paul Jarvis
  reef lover