[Coral-List] can we inhance the coral growth at genetic level???

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Sat Jun 10 13:48:48 EDT 2006

Dear Shailendra,

Speeding up the growth rates of corals is probably not a very good idea.  In
general, the faster a coral grows, the more vunerable it is to injury
stress, and disease.  (This is of course a general statement and I am sure
there are notable exceptions).  Faster growing corals also tend to be less
dense and more vunerable to storms such as hurricanes.

Anyway, my point is that if you are going to manipulate anything at the
genetic level, it should be to help species adapt better to the changes
being force upon them by man such as heat stress, pollution stress,
sedimentation stress, etc. or to promote better disease resistance.

There may be fairly easy ways to do these just has humans have breed plants
and animals for thousands of years.  One approach is to select corals that
have survived these stresses or diseases and propagate them...perhaps
replanting over original ranges where a species was lost or threatened.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court,