[Coral-List] Diadema

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue Jun 13 08:01:43 EDT 2006

Hi Les:

For the record, National Seagrant funded us in 2000 (Szmant ,Tom Capo and Margaret Miller co-PIs) to develop the techniques for mass rearing of  Diadema for restoration purposes (together with mass rearing of coral larvae, a combination we proposed to be an attempt at ecological restoration of damaged reef sites).  Tom was able to rear ca. 1000 Diadema from lab spawn and tested a range of temperatures, salinities and larval densities along the way, but had difficulty in the settlement stages.   The lab reared Diadema in the 1 to 2 cm diameter size range that we outplanted in our experiments were for the most part rapidly eaten by reef dwelling predators (as were many of the adult we tranplanted from inshore areas to offshore Florida reefs).  It was frustrating to see the babies eaten after all that work raising them.  Margaret and I gave up hope for any major breakthroughs with that approach unless many orders of magnitude more Diadema could be reared, and also as we saw slow but steady recoevry of the species throughout the Caribbean.  We didn't try to get any additional funding for this effort.  In La Parguera PR baby urchins can be found all over the place in shallow water and are working their way down the reef slope.  The reefs are so overfished it may make it easier for Diadema to recover there.

I have ca. dozen of the lab spawned Diadema living in my aquaria at UNCW as lab pets for the past 5 years, and they are doing well.  I gave a few to the Discovery Museum in Charlotte NC for their reef tank.  It will be interesting to see how long these guys can live.

Alina

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
UNCW-Center for Marine Science
5600 Marvin K. Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel: (910)962-2362 & Fax:  (910)962-2410
Cell:  (910)200-3913
email:  szmanta at uncw.edu
Web Page:  http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta