[Coral-List] Corals, algae, and bacteria

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Thu Jun 15 12:44:14 EDT 2006

The following exchange on the role of algae and bacteria in coral
reef degradation may be of interest to some readers. As usual I will
be out of reach in the field and not able to reply for a long time.

Thomas J. Goreau, PhD
President
Global Coral Reef Alliance
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge MA 02139
617-864-4226
goreau at bestweb.net
http://www.globalcoral.org

http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2006/607/2

 > > I do hope we get a chance to speak at another time.
 >
 > Best,
 > Katie

Dear Katie,

This is unfortunate because the ecological
observations really don't support the broad
conclusions of this paper, as Bruno rightly points
out. The coral reef literature is full of this sort of
overextended conclusions, and once these sorts of
things appear in Science and Nature, those who have
not made any observations themselves take them as
gospel truth.

Best wishes,
Tom