[Coral-List] Another question about coral disease

Joshua Feingold joshua at nova.edu
Wed Mar 8 07:58:19 EST 2006

Victor -

It is not clear from the photos, but in my opinion, there is some form of
corallivory occurring on those colonies. I base this very preliminary
assessment on the pattern of color loss - pale areas emanating from the
base of the colony towards its periphery. There are any number of gastropod
corallivores that cause similar patterns of tissue loss in other species in
other areas. If you have not observed corallivore activity during your
dives, try diving at multiple times per day and throughout the night as
foraging frequency may be episodic rather than continuous.

In order to confirm disease, it is necessary to obtain tissue samples and
have them analyzed by experts familiar with growing coral pathogens in
culture. Even then, definitive diagnosis is very difficult since so few
agents of coral diseases have been identified.

Good luck with solving this concern.

Joshua Feingold
Nova Southeastern University