[Coral-List] vehicle emissions, lifestyle changes and global warming

Michael Borger michaelborger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 10:48:34 EST 2006

Silvia,

You bring up an interesting point.  It would be great for the scientists of
the world to be able to successfully convey the deeply-rooted feelings of
passion and urgency of their fields to the general public instead of letting
the message get watered down through communication channels.  However, it is
a fine line that has to be walked between scientist and advocate.  When a
scientist starts 'preaching policy' or actively advocating certain actions,
especially contentious ones, s/he risks a hit to their credibility and may
no longer be seen as independetly objective.  What's at risk, then, is the
public TRUST in the truth behind the scientific conclusions.  The public is
therefore more likely to CHOOSE whether or how much to believe the
conclusions and, therefore, whether to take any action of their own to help
combat them.  Contrast that with the generally universal acceptance by the
public of strictly independent and objective scientific observations without
policy/action recommendations attached.

My point is not that one should or shouldn't take a stand on timely,
important issues such as reef conservation.  If anything, I would say that
times have indeed reached the point where the risk to credibility is one
worth taking, almost necessarily.  I would love nothing more than to see the
sense of urgency shared between scientists, students and the general public
in order to foster better and more widespread responsible natural resource
use.  I'm merely saying that the METHOD by which it's conveyed is a delicate
decision and extremely important in order to maintain trust and credibility.

Perhaps more funding/opportunities and encouragement for educators to take
part in situ in worldwide research between school years would reduce the
'watering down of the message' and bring their students closer to the issues
at hand.  Or other projects like the JASON project by Dr. Ballard that
attempt, in a different way, to do the same thing.

Michael Borger
www.mikeseyes.com