[Coral-List] Becoming more effective

clarionreef at aol.com clarionreef at aol.com
Wed Mar 8 13:19:38 EST 2006

 Martin Moe writes;
"We can't allow a great and important, but
international requirement for environmental reform;
prevent us from doing what we can to repair our own
local problems with the best effort we can expend."

Well said Martin,
Indeed, if we big thinkers cannot win locally, how on earth can we attempt to prescribe globally?
Getting dirty...er wet locally may train and fortify one to become more effective beyond the horizon.
 Most lessons I ever learned in terms of becoming more effective in gaming strategy came from pre-filtering it thru how the locals would regard it in Mexico or The Philippines
   This can help you understand the face to face w/ the people thing and remind you to weave it into grand recipes for reforms. A fisherman in the Philippines told me..."Its not what you said that we watched...its what you did".
Converting cyanide fisherman is not hard in village after village...but its damn near impossible with top-down eco labeling/ accounting schemes run from Mount Olympus that never reach the village anyway!
Puppet-mastering poor folks from so high above the reef keeps you blind, theoretical and ineffective.
    Since when did good science and high thinking constitute policy? It may enable it but without the ability to link it to human welfare, government people whose careers are linked to voter favor are not going to get it.
This may cause some to wince...as social interfacing is not everyones cup of tea...but it sure is a better way to be effective. If we really care about coral reefs and issues thereabouts...we must also care enough to become more  effective.
Steve
PS;
    Perhaps we should think more locally and act more locally to evolve better thinking globally to act more effectively globally.

Steve Robinson