[Coral-List] Discovery Land Project

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Mar 15 15:09:56 EST 2006

Hi Michael,

First, it should be known that I have never suggested Reef Balls for Guana
Cay.  I have simply offered to interviene between those interested in
preserving coral reefs and the developer to get a better outcome for the
reef.  And in fact, the Reef Ball Foundation would ALWAYS prefer to save a
natural reef rather than having to resort to building an artificial one.

But help me out here, it seems we have a Developer that is willing to
consider options to make the development have less impact on the reef and we
seem to have several scientists that can suggest "low impact" technologies
that might be appropriate.  (And it actually appears from my investigation
that the Developer is trying to incorporate as many low impact features as
they can).  We have you saying we need an independent (non-developer
sponsored) baseline and monitoring program which I agree with.  Seems to me
like everyone is in agreement on what to do to move forward.  I must be
missing something.

You mentioned the developer "rejected" baseline & monitoring. I am not sure
I understand who a developer could reject this or how a developer should
even be involved in baseline data and on-going monitoring....that should be
something the governmental agencies do or other independent scientific or
NGO organizations do...as you stated it needs to be at arms length and I
don't think that the developer can reject anyone doing science in the water
near their development.  It is a public policy issue if this information
needs to be gathered.  Certainly it is not done for every development....
for example, did you do a baseline and on-going monitoring on the impact to,
for example, bird nesting impacts when you built your home?  Sometimes
government would say it was important to do so (in the event your house was
being developed on a historical bird nesting location) and sometimes they
would say it was not necessary.  In the case of Guana Cay, I would say,
"yes" we need to baseline and monitor the coral reefs around Guana Cay
because the development is significant and the coral reef is important.  So,
the government should bear that expense.  It should be able to more than pay
for the studies with the increased tax revenues generated by the
development.

My point in all of this is that as activists, if we are going to cry out
against development, we need to have alternatives, suggestions, and action
plans to help guide the development to minimize the negative impacts.  Even
if faced with the complete halt of development we don't necessary achieve
victory and save the reef because the developer will just move to another
island with less resistance.  That's why we need to give them assistance,
not necessarily resistance.

I'll give you an example from my own life.  I have always known since I was
young that the cars I drove contributes to coral reef's decline.  Did I
drive a solar car? No, it was not practical.  But two years ago they came
out with Hybrid cars.  So, now both of my cars are hybrids.  Science
provided me with a reasonable alternative...cost me a bit more but I know it
is better for the reefs.  I think developers will do the same as science
offers then alternatives.

Is there a way to use this opportunity of an open dialog with the developer
to accomplish something positive?

Thanks,

Todd Barber
Chairman Reef Ball Foundation, Inc.
3305 Edwards Court
Greenville, NC 27858
reefball at reefball.com

http://www.artificialreefs.org
http://www.reefball.org
http://www.reefball.com

Direct: 252-353-9094
mobile: 941-720-7549
Fax 425-963-4119

Personal Space: http://www.myspace/reefball
Group Space http://groups.myspace.com/reefballfoundation
Skype & MSN For Voice or Video Conferences:
Available upon request

Atlanta/Athens Office
890 Hill Street
Athens, GA 30606 USA
770-752-0202
(Our headquarters...not where I work see above)