[Coral-List] Guana Cay -

Vera DuLaney veradulaney at comcast.net
Fri Mar 17 07:12:13 EST 2006

Erik,
Thank you for all the writings you do.  I am a Florida resident who
loves to dive and is horrified at the state of the reefs right out my
back yard.  We are directly impacted by the bad practices of
developers.  I agree with everything you are saying.  But there is one
point that seems out of reach from this community.   If I remember
right, someone stated earlier that the Land Bay Company received its
funding from the World Bank, whose own assessment of the "best use" for
the land was to build a golf course and marina on this tiny island.  If
the money for the project  flows from the bank to the developer, then it
is really the bank and their "requirements" for this development that
are at fault. The developer has little freedom to modify a "plan" once
it has been funded.   It's appears the developer is taking steps to
erase evidence of the reef in their literature, so it appears
intentional on the part of the bank

Have you read "_Confessions of an Economic Hit Man_"?  The practices
described in this book are no different than what is happening at Guana
Cay.  The World Bank is not known for their eco-sensitive projects. I'm
afraid the only way to preserve the reef is through legal channels -
make sure the laws are strong and the developers get sued for attempting
to violate them.

Vera
veradulaney at comcast.net