[Coral-List] My Last Comment on The Great Guana Cay Debate

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Fri Mar 17 15:53:00 EST 2006

First, thanks to everyone that engaged in this important debate...important
because we will face the same scenario in different places around the world
for a long time to come.

I am off to the Turtle Islands in Sabah tomorrow to save the turtle nesting
grounds from erosion for those totally protected (from humans) islands, so I
won't be able to respond for the next week. So if you have a comment try
emailing it to me directly with a catchy subject that I can pick out on a
slow internet connection.

So, let me sum up what I believe everyone should do for Guana Cay...

If you are a local resident or stakeholder....fight for your
rights...continue your court battle and use all your legal means to achieve
your goals.
If you are privately concerned, consider joining their fight or helping them
fund it.

If you are a scientist you have several options.  If protecting the reef
touches you emotionally, consider donating some of your skills or time to
the saveguuanacay.org group.
If you are neutral, consider contacting the government of the Bahamas or
Livingston Marshall to donate your skills to helping find ways to minimize
the impact of the development should the legal efforts fail.
If you are a consulting scientist, you may wish to sell your skills to any
of the parties involved either through EISs, EIAs, legal mitigation or
private consulting.

If you are an NGO, follow your organizational mission statement guidelines
and do what you can to aid in your mission.

If you are a developer, join the debate and express your side of the
issues.....many of us "get it" that the fight is not about winning and
losing but working together to achieve better things.

If you are from government, use the great wisdom of the 3,470 folks on this
list that care about corals to help answer your questions regarding corals
and how or why they should affect your policy.  If in doubt, ask a
question...you may get 5 different answers....but 4 of 5 might be right!

I am confident, that no matter how you get involved or "whose side you are
on" that anyone on this list most likely cares very deeply for corals and
our world oceanic ecosystems therefore if you lend your skills in whatever
capacity, I believe the outcome will be better than it would otherwise be.

Herein lies the power of this list...knowledge can overcome problems.  And
if every time we face similar threats or opportunities to our oceanic
ecosystems we join together....no matter how far apart each of our positions
on the particular issue separates us we will achieve more together.

'till next week!

Thanks,

Todd Barber
Chairman Reef Ball Foundation, Inc.
3305 Edwards Court
Greenville, NC 27858
reefball at reefball.com

http://www.artificialreefs.org
http://www.reefball.org
http://www.reefball.com

Direct: 252-353-9094
mobile: 941-720-7549
Fax 425-963-4119

Personal Space: http://www.myspace/reefball
Group Space http://groups.myspace.com/reefballfoundation
Skype & MSN For Voice or Video Conferences:
Available upon request

Atlanta/Athens Office
890 Hill Street
Athens, GA 30606 USA
770-752-0202
(Our headquarters...not where I work see above)