[Coral-List] Corals don't Clog, Discovery Inc. will clog them?

Brylske at aol.com Brylske at aol.com
Sat Mar 18 10:39:33 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/18/06 8:05:27 AM, cnidaria at earthlink.net writes:

> Dear Pete,
>

> I don't think bringing attention to a development project that will
> kill 200 year old corals in the Bahamas can be constituted as
> "clogging up this list". Do you realize that the Bahamas Govt is
> about to approve such an action? We were  using Guana as a study site
> to monitor corals that are infected with very low indices of coraline
> diseases. We coral scientists need to have old colonies to monitor
> over time during this current time, and if this development project
> takes place with the help of these so called "experts" the developer
> is paying we will loose this study site.  I was actually happy to see
> that this reef, if the levels of nutrients were to be controlled, can
> be a great study site for many scientists and divers to use as an
> educational tool so close to US coastal cities.
>
> Erik Gauger has told me that this thread may actually help save the
> corals of Guana.  We appreciate Jim Hendee's efforts for having this
> open platform and are looking forward to hearing about your
> "interesting data" from the Philippines!
>
> James

Isn't it telling that some here view the Guana Cay discussion as "clogging up
the list"? I can't imagine of a better illustration of an attitude that's
keeping us from making real progress in reef conservation.

Alex F. Brylske, Ph.D.
Training Manager
The Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL)

"Working together to keep coral reefs alive."

please respond to:
3324 SW 8th Court
Cape Coral, FL 33914
USA
Tel: +239-281-1197
Fax: +281-664-9497
E-mail: abrylske at coral.org
Web site: www.coral.org

International Office:
417 Montgomery Street, Suite 205
San Francisco, CA  94104
Tel:  (415) 834-0900
Fax:  (415) 834-0999

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient (or have received this email in error) please
notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this email is strictly forbidden.