[Coral-List] Way to help protect Guana Cay reef

Rick Sanders ricksanders at comcast.net
Mon Mar 20 13:20:45 EST 2006

Thanks to the Coral-List I found out about Guana Cay from a post by Erik
Gauger. I took one look at some of the aerial photos that Erik Gauger had on
his website:
http://www.notesfromtheroad.com/WestIndies/bakers_bay_intro4.htm
and I had to go and see it for my self.

I recently visited Guana Cay in January and had a chance to dive on the
reefs directly off of Bakers Bay. Although not pristine like I had hoped
they
were healthy enough to attract spotted eagle rays, few sharks, and some
large groupers on almost everyone of my 6 dives.  Macro algae is starting to
dominate the reef community and any more disturbance is likely to push it
over the edge as Dr Risk and Dr
Cervino have pointed out with very strong evidence (whether or not it is due
to a reduction in herbivore activity or increased nutrient influx the result
is the same....macroalgae domination).

I wanted all the Coral-List members to know that the NON PROFIT organization
Save Guana Cay Reef is holding a RAFFLE that ends March 25th to raise funds
to help support the
court battle they are fighting to protect the reefs of Guana Cay.  Included
in the prizes that can be won are many chances to win a week stay on Guana
Cay and get a chance to experience first hand the island that everyone is up
and arms about.....

I saw it and it there is no question that it is worth fighting for!

PLEASE HELP THE FIGHT BY DONATING TO THIS NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION OF HIGH
INTEGRITY THAT IS FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT FOR ALL OF US AND MAYBE GET A
CHANCE TO VISIT THE ISLAND AND FABLED REEF YOURSELF....REMEMBER ALL GREAT
THINGS START SMALL......

examples:

A weeks stay at these homes
Jim Alderman House-Li'l Gecko
Ernie Pipe House-Shorecrest 2
Toby Strong House-Penury Hall
Dick Hewett House-Gin & Tonic
Tom Tunny House-Hermits Peak

Dolphin Beach Resort- 3 day
Sunset Beach - Discount on Stay
Day Sail on LOKADUNE
Day Sail on SKYLARK
Dive Guana-3 day boat rental
Blue Water Grill-Dinner for two
Dive Guana-Snorkle Trip

Here at the details of the Raffle...DRAWING HAPPENS ON MARCH 25TH
See this link: http://p098.ezboard.com/fsaveguanacayreeffrm2

You can purchase your SGCR Raffle Tickets through the Click to Donate
Button on the SGCR Website Homepage: http://www.saveguanacayreef.com/

You MUST also send an email to diveguana at yahoo.com to let them know you have
done so and a ticket can be issued.

In the email, please include: