[Coral-List] Unclog email account by moving coal-list to a forum/bulletin board?

capman at augsburg.edu capman at augsburg.edu
Mon Mar 20 16:54:19 EST 2006

I don't know the logistics of doing this, but I think this sounds
like an excellent idea.  This would surely facilitate and foster more
discussion (without intruding into people's e-mail Inboxes), and it
seems this could only be a good thing.  Discussions could be
developed further in a public venue where we could all benefit from
them, and answers to questions could be posted for all to see
(currently, the only person who usually sees the responses to
questions that are asked is the person who asked the question). There
could even be sub-forums for special topics....e.g. bleaching events,
conservation crises, research methodology, or whatever seemed
appropriate.  Such discussion forums can function very well if
moderated properly.

If a forum like this was successful, it would probably have a bit
more traffic than the current Coral List.  Hence the job of the
moderator might be bigger.  However, it seems that such forums rarely
have just one moderator, and, as Jeff mentions, the moderators can be
located anywhere.

One thing I would suggest though, if the coral list were to go this
route, is to be sure that the forum/bulletin board interface be
somewhat minimalist and simple...no unnecessary graphics, for
example.  Otherwise, it might be difficult for folks in remote
locations with slow Internet access to view the forum web pages.

Bill