[Coral-List] Saving reefs and the wild places

Brylske at aol.com Brylske at aol.com
Fri Mar 24 12:23:51 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/24/06 11:57:06 AM, mekvinga at yahoo.com writes:

>   Tourists cry, "What are we going to do?"  and, "What are we going to do
> next?". They cannot seem to relax.  Diving a pleasant coral reef is boring
> without Sharks! and Dolphins! and Manta Rays!  They seem to require nonstop
> entertainment.
>
>   There was a meeting last week that had a theme of, "Can't we compromise?"
> Few attended, as the "Disney World" types look at a beautiful mountain and
> sea vista and believe there is nothing there.  I was amazed to learn this only
> recently.  Nothing there

Melissa:

You point out an important and growing problem in reef tourism. With the
broadening demographic of who's becoming a diver has come this issue of "boredom"
(something I never thought I'd hear). The answer to it lies in the
interpretive skills of the dive guide. The problem is that many operators—whose
legitimate first concern is keeping their doors open—just don't understand that they
have to train their staff to do a better job as both guides and conservation
ambassadors. Once they see that the more their employees know and can communicate
the real drama of any coral reef, the happier their customer will be, and
more likely they'll return next year. It's a snowball effect: The more engaged
and committed the customer becomes, the more likely they'll want to return, and
the more likely these "occasional divers" will become coral reef advocates.
But this doesn't happen without guidance, and guides have to be trained.
Frankly, speaking as someone with a foot in both worlds of tourism and marine
conservation, the answer is simple. We have the programming to train them. We just
have to get tourism professionals to start asking the right questions.

However, what's also interesting is the exact opposite problem: Folks going
to a barren wasteland of algal covered hard bottom and thinking it was the
greatest dive in the world. Talk about a shifted baseline; if they only knew.

I'd better shut up before this gets too long. It's a real soapbox issue to
me.

Alex F. Brylske, Ph.D.
Training Manager
The Coral Reef Alliance (CORAL)

"Working together to keep coral reefs alive."

please respond to:
3324 SW 8th Court
Cape Coral, FL 33914
USA
Tel: +239-281-1197
Fax: +281-664-9497
E-mail: abrylske at coral.org
Web site: www.coral.org

International Office:
417 Montgomery Street, Suite 205
San Francisco, CA  94104
Tel:  (415) 834-0900
Fax:  (415) 834-0999

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient (or have received this email in error) please
notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosure or distribution of the material in this email is strictly forbidden.