[Coral-List] status of Epinephelus itajara in western Atlantic

Sarah Frias-Torres Sarah.FriasTorres at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 31 18:01:20 EST 2006

Dear Coral-listers
Apologies for cross-postings.

I am evaluating the status of goliath grouper, jewfish (Epinephelus
itajara) in the western Atlantic. This includes Caribbean and south to
Brazil. In spanish speaking countries it is called mero guaza, mero de
profundidad. In Quintana Roo, Mexico, it is called cherna.

I have searched through all the peer-review publications in the subject
(ASFA search). I will welcome any information on their existence
(present or past), current conservation status, and habitats used in any
of the countires within the region. Any reports, gray literature,
unpublished data you wish to share with me, even personal statements,
it's all welcome.

Sarah Frias-Torres
University of Miami & NOAA Fisheries