[Coral-List] Planting of propagated coral fragments

Kevin Kocot kmkocot at ilstu.edu
Wed May 3 01:07:57 EDT 2006

Andrew,

If you have the capacity to drill holes, I think the drilling-and-sticking
method using a super glue gel (ethyl acrylate) is a good option.  One can
simply drill a shallow hole, squeeze in a couple mL of super glue gel, and
insert the base of the Acropora propagule into it.  Ethyl acrylate super
glue gel sets well underwater and is commonly used for the aquaculture of
Acropora and other small polyped Scleractinian corals.

You may also want to experiment with laying cuttings on large rocks and
glueing them "sideways."  In some species of Acropora, this seems to
stimulate a great deal of encrustation before new branches are erected.  If
you are trying to establish colonies in rough waters, this may be a good way
to get them started.

Hope this is helpful,
Kevin Kocot