[Coral-List] Dr. Austin Lamberts

Judith Lang/Lynton Land jandl at rivnet.net
Sat May 13 09:45:23 EDT 2006

Dear Listers,
I have learned that "Dr. Austin Lamberts passed away peacefully at
his Grand Rapids (Michigan) home on April 18, 2006."

Austin was an American neurosurgeon who, after losing fine-motor
control of his right hand in an accident, returned to graduate school
at the University of Hawaii and eventually became a scleractinian
taxonomist--in which capacity some members of the coral-list will
remember him and his scientific papers. Austin was a snorkeler, and
happily his carefully annotated collection of shallow-water stony
corals now resides at the University of California, Berkeley.

Probably less well known is that after his "second retirement" Austin
frequently volunteered as a  "triage doctor" in some of our world
most hellish war zones and refugee camps, giving basic medical care
to people struggling to survive under conditions that most of us can
scarcely imagine. When he was at home during these years, one of
Austin's joys was publishing in medical magazines light-hearted and
easily-read, yet educational short stories about interesting patients
he'd encountered as a young surgeon.

I feel honoured to have known such an extraordinary person.

Judy Lang