[Coral-List] Margara Oil Tanker Grounds on Coral Reef in Puerto Rico

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Thu May 25 08:29:38 EDT 2006

Hi Iain,

Sadly, TBT is used commonly on these very large oil tankers...as you said,
they can't practically come out of the water often for a bottom servicing.
It is my understanding that silicon-based paints are excellent
environmentally, but that users find they are not as effective as TBT.  (I
don't know enough to comment if that is because of performance or costs).

I should point out that the bottom paint I recovered is suspected to be TBT,
but it has yet to be tested to prove this.  To my knowledge, there has been
no denial from the ship owners that TBT was indeed used.  (I still have the
sample if anyone on the list is interested in testing it).

The main problem I encountered with the Margara grounding was that it
pointed out the lack of resources and planning that goes into responses to
groundings.  It seems that when there is a "responsible party"...i.e. the
boat was insured and flagged in a country where we have reciprocity that our
public agencies move in quickly to document and assess the damage but the
restoration efforts can lack adequate timelines to rescue injured animals
(the corals) since litigation is deemed more important than restoration.
Additionally, the technololgy used for the restoration is mixed, rarely cost
effective and usually does not include the local community.  On the other
hand, when there is no clear bucket of money, our agencies tend to ignore
groundings....such as the Sperchios grounding which was nearly identical
circumstances in Puerto Rico at the same port to which no restoration effort
has been made.  There are thousands of recreational boating groundings every
year on coral reefs that also rarely are treated.

In other countries, I find many similarities so this is not just a US based
problem.  Recent groundings in the Bahamas (Lyford Cay), and Malaysia
(Sipadan Island), for example, will likely go untreated.

There are many members of the scientific and NGO communities that are not
just willing, but edgar to help.  And many have shown that they can respond
faster, cheaper and often better than public agencies.  However, there is
currently no formal route to engage these organizations providing timely
access to emergency permits or emergency funding.

Perhaps it is not a fair analogy, but just like Katrina it is likely that
most governments are not really prepared for coral disasters.  If they
ignore the problems facing coral reefs, the world will continue to see this
valuable fragile ecosystem destroyed at an alarming rate.  If they try to do
it all themselves, not enough will ever get done.  It just points out
further (and re-enforces Deevon Quriolo's statements) that as a world
community, we need to all work on a variety of strategies to step up our
efforts to conserve coral reefs. That is going to mean more
public/private/scientific/ngo interactions, and engagement.

Thanks,

Todd R. Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court,