[Coral-List] Fw: UNEP report

Alan E. Strong Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 1 13:48:38 EST 2006

Hi Ruby,

Our NOAA DHW "hindcast" data [thermal stress accumulations] show this
clearly in the attached figure for the period Jan-March 1998...

Mauritius and Reunion were both on the southern edge of the massive
bleaching event in that year.

http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/icg/ehet.s21998.e41998.gif

Cheers,
Al

Ruby Moothien wrote:
> I wish to point out that Mauritius was one of the few island states which
> suffered from mild bleaching (<10%) during the 1998 mass bleaching episode
> If the statement "Coral reefs across the Indian Ocean including around the
> Comoros, La Reunion, Madagascar, Mauritius and the Seychelles, were among
> those that were severely damaged." is indeed relating to the 1998 mass
> bleaching in the Indian Ocean, then it needs to be corrected as it is very
> misleading...
>

> Ruby Moothien Pillay (Ph. D.)
> Project Officer (Oceanography)
> Mauritius Oceanography Institute
> Quatre Bornes
> Mauritius
> Tel: (230) 427-4434
> Mobile: (230) 723-8808
> Fax:(230) 427-4433
> Website: http://moi.gov.mu

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Senior Consultant
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5304
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x108               Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602