[Coral-List] ITMEMS

Thomas Goreau goreau at bestweb.net
Fri Nov 3 12:03:39 EST 2006

Dear Paul,

I'm sorry, I had missed your last comment below:

They would never invite me to their meetings. I was sent to the first
ITMEMS meeting by IUCN to show the global temperature database
records in 1998, during the height of  coral mortality. The ITMEMS
organizers would absolutely NOT permit to me to speak at the
meeting.  They finally grudgingly arranged a secret closed meeting on
the other side of town for me to show the data to 10 hand picked
invited people, almost all Australians, but would not let any of the
managers see the data. Wilkinson then declared that bleaching was not
that bad, that no one knew why it was happening, but that nobody
should worry because it was only affecting a few places and there was
so much healthy resilient reef out there. The Minister of
Environment, Robert Hill, declared in Parliament in Canberra that
there was absolutely no evidence to link bleaching to global warming.
Afterwards all of the people at IUCN who arranged for me to attend
lost their jobs for doing so.

Please take a look at the lovely corals we are growing in Sint
Maarten when you next go there. The best thing we can do is to grow
corals much faster and much more resistant to environmental stress,
which only our method does. I hope we can do so throughout the
Netherlands Antilles as we are doing in Sint Maarten.

Best wishes,
Tom