[Coral-List] Job Announcement

Laurie RIchardson richardl at fiu.edu
Tue Nov 21 13:56:29 EST 2006

DIRECTOR, MARINE SCIENCE PROGRAM

The Marine Science Program at Florida International University (FIU) is
seeking applicants for a newly created position of DIRECTOR (rank
commensurate with experience).  The Marine Science Program is a new and
growing interdisciplinary initiative emphasizing research and teaching
in coastal marine science.  The Program is housed in a recently
completed $12 m building that overlooks Biscayne Bay and is home to 10
research laboratories, 4 teaching laboratories, a wet lab, and running
sea water systems.  At present, 8 faculty members from FIU’s Biology and
Chemistry Departments work at our Biscayne Bay Campus, with an
additional community of 15 marine scientists at our University Park
campus.  We seek a Director with an established and ongoing track record
in research and grantsmanship. In addition to continuing their own
research, the Director’s responsibilities include leading growth and
operations of the Marine Science Program.  This will include expansion
of research opportunities and infrastructure, as well as coordination of
graduate educational programs with participating departments at our
University Park and Biscayne Bay campuses.  Additional faculty positions
are anticipated under the Director’s leadership.

To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by January
19, 2007. Screening of applications will begin on that date, and
continue until a suitable candidate is selected. Applicants should send
a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a summary of their professional
interests, and contact information for three to five references to: Joel
Trexler, Search Committee Chair, Department of Biological Sciences,
Florida International University, Miami, FL 33199; e-mail:
trexlerj at fiu.edu; telephone: 305-348-1966.  FIU is an Affirmative
Action/Equal Opportunity Institution.