[Coral-List] Coral growth abnormalities

Esther Peters esther.peters at verizon.net
Sun Nov 26 20:53:42 EST 2006

Dear Tom and Shashank,

I apologize for the long lapse in replying, but in cleaning out my inbox
thought I should argue a bit about Tom's statement that "frequency has
not changed for the last 50 years."  Perhaps it is just an artifact of
more observers doing the observing in more areas more of the time, but
I've received reports from areas where numerous lesions are present and,
when followed, start small, increase in size, and increase in number.
That is why I cautioned Shashank to make field observations for a while
before sampling.  Several morphological types of coral growth anomalies
have been identified, and it is possible that they might have diverse
etiologies, not only in initiation but also promotion, and changing
exposure to environmental factors could be involved as well. There is
still much to be done to understand these lesions!

Esther Peters