[Coral-List] M. meandrites Bleaching

Esther Peters esther.peters at verizon.net
Sun Oct 1 13:03:57 EDT 2006

Dear Ed and List,

That is really fascinating and brings to mind a similar phenomenon that
Judy Lang was studying years ago at Lee Stocking Island in the Bahamas,
regular autumnal bleaching of the brown morph of Porites astreoides.  I
was fortunate to join her on a workshop trip and we obtained a few
samples for histopathological examination.  The tissues contained many
oocysts of a coccidian (identified only as Gemmocystis cylindrus in
Upton and Peters 1986 from other corals).  This is a protozoan (Phylum
Apicomplexa), whose relatives are known to parasitize and cause diseases
in other organisms (for example, Cryptosporidium parvum in mammals).
The gastrodermal cells contained few, if any, zooxanthellae.  Instead,
the oocysts or sporozoites were present in the gastrodermal cells.  I
wondered whether they might be replacing the zooxanthellae as part of
their reproductive cycle, then they leave the coral host (for locations
unknown) and the zooxanthellae repopulate the gastrodermis.  But further
sampling was not possible.  The coccidian was found in Meandrina
meandrites from Puerto Rico, submitted to me for analysis of patchy
bleaching.

Determining whether the coccidian is in the bleaching Meandrina would
require taking a small fragment (about 5  of the colony and placing it
in a formaldehyde-based fixative for histological processing and
identification of the parasite with light microscopy.  I would be
interested in assisting in this effort if sampling occurs (perhaps
someone else would like to check for zooxanthellae clade changes or
something).  I see from your data that not all Meandrina colonies on
Palm Beach reefs bleach like this, maybe up to 20-30%, so perhaps this
is not just a temperature-, light-, or zooxanthella-related phenomenon?

Esther Peters, Ph.D.
Affiliate Professor
George Mason University