[Coral-List] New Experimental Doldrums Product from NOAA Coral Reef Watch

Mark Eakin Mark.Eakin at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 5 10:07:41 EDT 2006

NOAA Coral Reef Watch (CRW) is now offering an Experimental Doldrums
Product that identifies and tracks regions of sustained low wind
speed to help coral reef managers and scientists better assess
conditions that may lead to coral bleaching. Wind is an important
physical factor influencing conditions conducive to coral bleaching.
Wind-driven mixing reduces temperature stress and wind generated
waves can scatter harmful levels of incoming solar radiation.
Periods of sustained low wind may therefore promote environmental
conditions adverse to corals experiencing thermal and/or light
stress. In collaboration with NOAA's Coast Watch and the Southwest
Fisheries Science Center - Environmental Research Division, 4-day
mean surface winds, derived from QuikSCAT scatterometry, are used to
identify persistent regions of low wind conditions. These persistent
low wind regions are imaged and made available daily in a series of
formats, including our standard map images, HDF, and Google Earth, at
http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellite/doldrums/.

As an experimental product, we expect to future improve and refine
the doldrums product. However, even in its current format CRW
believes the experimental doldrums product will provide reef managers
and the coral research community important information regarding the
prevailing wind conditions affecting coral reef communities.

Please contact us if you have any suggestions on how we might improve
on this experimental product to further its development and utility
to the community.

For more information on the entire suite of NOAA Coral Reef Watch
satellite products, see http://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/

Cheers,
Mark

------------------------
C. Mark Eakin, Ph.D.
Coordinator, NOAA Coral Reef Watch
Center for Satellite Applications and Research
Satellite Oceanography & Climate Division
e-mail: mark.eakin at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5308
1335 East West Hwy
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226
301-713-2857 x109                   Fax: 301-713-3136