[Coral-List] top-down, bottom-up arguments

jmcmanus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Oct 11 15:50:21 EDT 2006

Hi all,

I agree in principle that the argument over 'which is worse" is
counterproductive. Unfortunately, we cannot yet drop the research side of
the issue. Life would be much easier if we could simply prevent both fishing
and nutrient loading on reefs. However, that usually not being the case, we
need to come up with scientific advice that managers can use effectively.

The existing efforts to come up with maximal allowable N and P
concentrations are moving in the right direction. Unfortunately, the early
concept from Littler and Littler was that levels of herbivory interact with
levels of nutrients to result in different effects on the ecosystem. Adding
nutrients with lots of herbivory should lead to the growth of unpalatable
algae such as a proliferation of encrusting algae, which may not be as bad
in terms of reducing coral settlement. Adding the same amounts with less
herbivory would be expected to lead to proliferation of more palatable
algae, including many species of fleshy macroalgae which is problematic
where it was not previously abundant. From basic ecological theory, one
would expect that adding nutrients to a healthy food web would lead to it
being spread through the food web at many trophic levels, resulting in more
biomass overall. Adding them to a reduced food web, particularly one with
reduced herbivory, should result in a concentration of biomass at the
primary productivity level -- some kind of algal bloom. Thus, a maximal
allowance for nutrients in a healthy reef ecosystem (food web-wise) would be
expected to be higher than one for a heavily fished one.

We clearly need to understand how much of what combinations of nutrients can
be allowed with what levels of what kinds of fishing. That is the sad
conclusion that has led some of us to start delving into multivariate
statistics and simulation modeling. However, Gene is absolutely right, that
we need larger scale experiments where they can be done without damaging
reefs. A less controllable but often more feasible approach is to avail of
natural and management induced experiments via long-term, large scale
comparative studies across multiple reef systems. Basically, we need to turn
a large number of both highly and less-disturbed reefs into a global
experiment. That is the idea behind the Comparative Analysis of Reef
Resilience Under Stress (CARRUS) Alliance several of us are trying to
gradually pull together. The focus there would be mostly on making more use
of existing well-monitored reefs. Throwing in some large-scale controlled
experiments would make the overall scheme all the more effective.

I'm not too worried about the existing nutrient minima from places like
Jamaica, because they were obtained in overfished and otherwise low-herbivoy
systems and are therefore conservative. However, we still have a long way to
go.

Of course, too much nutrient addition can result in macroalgal growth that
will blow away herbivory capacity and damage other life forms directly.
Similarly, a reef with limited macroalgae but few fish and lobsters will
likely have other problems, such as outbreaks of boring sea urchins,
crown-of-thorns seastars, coralivorous snails, and innumerable other issues
(this is, after all, a highly co-evolved ecosystem!). One last thing to note
is that the traditional concept of 'overfishing' roughly equates to removing
more than half of the biomass of the target species. Many overfished reefs
have removed more than twice that, and the range of target species is in the
many hundreds around the world (not to mention by-caught species). Take any
highly co-evolved ecosystem and take out half of its higher trophic level
biomass and tell me that you do not expect problems!

So DeeVon is right about there not really being an argument of one or the
other cause being worse. However, we still have to figure out a lot more
about what we need to know to set nutrient and fishing limits.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Laboratory (CREM Lab)
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami, 33149
Office: 305-421-4814/4820, Fax: 305-421-4910, Website: www.ncoremiami.org

If I cannot build it, I do not understand it. -- Richard Feynman, Nobel
Laureate