[Coral-List] Grazing vs fertilization

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 13 10:22:36 EDT 2006

Hello Andrew.

I have been following this thread with wry amusement, waiting for
SOMEONE to mention bioerosion. It seems the modern coral reef
biological community has a knowledge lacuna. To summarize:

-bioerosion accounts for >50% of the carbonate balance of a reef, and
hence no study that omits this process has a snowball's chance of
understanding reef trajectories. Not a chance.

-rates of bioerosion are directly correlated with water quality, hence
many modern reefs are already in a deficit position.

-the Caribbean has a wonderful bioindicator, Cliona delitrix
(bright-red boring sponge, kills corals, eats fecal bacteria). EVERY
Caribbean monitoring program should include estimates of occurrence of
this sponge, and very few do. (There is a Pacific equivalent, C.
orientalis, but it's sort of a boring brown colour... As far as I am
aware, not a single Pacific monitoring program includes bioerosion
estimates.)

All this has been said before, and has been in the literature for more
than 40 years now. What's wrong with this picture? Why is it so hard to
get this message across?

Mike