[Coral-List] Michael Risk - C. delitrix as measure of bioerosion

Gregor Hodgson gregorh at reefcheck.org
Mon Oct 16 22:48:02 EDT 2006

Mike has long suggested the use of boring sponges as a useful/simple
technique for estimating one component of reef health. We are always open to
good suggestions and this idea is appealing, however, our initial tests did
not support the theory. To be useful to us, this indicator needs to work at
least regionally if not globally. But we have not given it a rigorous test.

We would be very pleased if Mike (or supporter) would suggest a volunteer
level protocol and then if teams around the world might give it a test to
see if it holds up as an indicator on a wide geographic scale.

Best,
Greg

Gregor Hodgson, PhD
Executive Director, Reef Check Foundation
P.O. Box 1057 (mail)
17575 Pacific Coast Highway (Fedex)
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272-1057
Tel: +1-310-230-2371 Fax: +1-310-230-2376
email: gregorh at reefcheck.org
www.ReefCheck.org
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity which
is named and may contain certain information that is privileged,
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please advise the sender and immediately delete this
message from your system.