[Coral-List] Michael Risk - C. delitrix as measure of bioerosion

Andia Chaves-Fonnegra andiachaves at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 17:22:13 EDT 2006

Dear Corallisters

I have been following the discussion about excavating sponges and how could
be use them like indicator of coral health and bioerosion, and it is very
interesting. We have been working with excavating sponges in the Colombian
Caribbean the last five years, and during the last three years I have been
dedicated to research *Cliona delitrix* in San Andrés Island. We are soon to
publish some papers about how the sponge undermining corals and their
abundance in relation to sewage discharges. I think that *Cliona
delitrix*could be a good bioindicator of bioerosión and pollution, but
we need to
know all the variables and parameters that affect their changes in abundance
(frequency and cover in the reefs). Some of these parameters could be:
distance to the sewages or organic source, kind of food source and kind of
reef in terms of species. If we unify all the information that we have at
the moment, and continue studding aspects of reproduction and recruitment of
excavating sponges, we can have a better overview.  I agree with Christine
about that we need to monitor excavating sponges in different areas, and I
will be interested in participate in the project.

Cheers,

Andia

--
Andia Chaves-Fonnegra