[Coral-List] Michael Risk - C. delitrix as measure of bioerosion

Michael Risk riskmj at univmail.cis.mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 17 17:39:12 EDT 2006

Well, Derek, you have successfully put your finger on something that
has intrigued me for years.

I should state my findings at the outset: I have no clue. But perhaps I
could list some of the factors that have contributed to my clueless
state.

First of all, the low abundance of sponges in those locales is not
because they didn't get there. They were there before the corals,
before the Isthmus of Panama emerged. We have looked at the fauna, and
it's the same old cast of characters: some Cliothosa hancocki, some C.
peponica, etc. So the sponges are there, just not abundant.

You are correct, the highest numbers of Lithophaga ever recorded
are/were from Isla del Cano (west coast Costa Rica). The entire region
is Lithophaga City. But we must take care in pigeonholing Lithophaga as
a "bioeroder." Some members of the species can bore live or dead coral,
and are genuine borers. Those that occur only in live coral don't bore
at all, they simply sit in/on the coral and induce it to grow around
them. The result is a coral full of holes, but zero bioerosion.

Total bioerosion rates there are very high, but most of it is done by
urchins. Why the sponges are so low is a conundrum.

We think that bioeroders in general "escape" mass extinction events by
jumping into carbonate hardgrounds-Paleozoic corals are
enthusiastically bored by sipunculans. When the terminal-Permian event
(whatever it was) wiped out the corals, the sipuncs cheerfully (one
assumes it was with good cheer) jumped into hardgrounds and survived.

The East Pacific is deficient in carbonate hardgrounds. Most of the
substrate is volcanic, or clastic sediments such as turbidites. It is
also a region subject to large climate swings. It may be that the
sponges (and sipuncs and the other dozen phyla) get knocked back by
climate swings like El Nino's, and have no refugia.

But I have no clue.

Mike